Aleria and the
Convent of Piedicroce [Ph.
Villages of the Region
To Know Aleria
Aleria is the first commercial syndicate created in Corsica.
It was created by the Phoceans in 565 B.C.
Discovery of the Aleria
The Matra Fort
The organization of big yards of excavations on the site of the roman colony
of Aleria (from 1955), the discovery of the necropolis of Casabianda in
1960, required the creation of an archeological museum. A first depot of
excavations was opened to the public in 1963, the depot became the Musée
Jérôme Carcopino in 1969, in tribute to the corsican scientist who permitted
the resumption of the excavations of Aleria. In 1978, the museum became
departmental. It was set in a fort which was built by Benedetto Canevara
Belonging to the famous Matra family, which was a loyal ally of Genoa,
it sheltered a group of cavalry which was in charge of the police of the
During the independence wars, the little fort was occupied in 1730 by the
corsican revolutionaries. In 1736, it was in the Matra fort that the corsican
chiefs of the independence movement, Costa, Giafferi and Giacinto Paoli
( father of Pascal Paoli)
proposed to the german baron Theodore de Neuhoff, the crown of Corsica.
The fort was classified as a historic monument in 1962.
Holidays in Aleria - North Corsica
- The Saling Harbors
- The Ponds of the Cote Orientale: the Pond
of Biguglia, of Diane, of Urbino
- The Hunting Reserve of Casabianda
For any nformation contact The