|1676 : On
13th February, Mgr Parthenius was interrogated by the Genoese authorities
seeking to find out the reasons for their exile.
leaving for Coisica, these same authorities italianised the surnames,
replacing the final "AKIS" by "ACCI" ; for example
: PAPADAKIS became PAPADACCI.
On 14th March, three
Genoese galleys anchored off the coast neor Paomia. It may well
have been in the little bay " dei Monachi " (of the monks),
today named Bay Forni.
The name of PAOMIA comes from the ltalion " pavone " [Peacock].
PAOMIA was made up of five hamlets : Pancone, Corone, Rondolino,
Salici and Monte-Rosso, all of which were built by the Greeks in
the first year.
1678 : Erection at Rondolino of the
main church dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption [saint's day
: 15th August]. By hard labour, the Greeks transformed the surrounding
countryside making it the best cultivated and the most productive
of the area.
For about fifty years they lived peacefully with their Corsican
: General rebellion of the Corsicans against the Genoese.The
Greeks refused to fight their benefactors. Considered supporters
of the Genoese, their properties in Paomio were ransacked and pillaged
In the following year, the Corsicans
fought the inhabitants who defended themselves courageously. However
the Genoese, who were unable to assist them. suggested they make
for Ajaccio leaving behind 50 villagers to defend their settlement.
This body of men was later obliged to retreat to the Ominia peninsula
where they took refuge in the Genoese tower. Depiived of food, they
managed to escape by night and mrade their way to Ajaccio, arriving
at the end of April 1731.
: For 43 years the Greeks lived in Ajaccio.
1768 : 1st June : The Genoese troops
lowered their flags, immediately to be replaced, on the citadel
of Ajaccio, by the flag of the King of France. The Greeks then formed
a regiment which Count Marbeuf incorporated into his troops.
1774 : Through the mediation of Count
Marbeuf, the Greeks obtained the territory of Cargèse, compensating
for the loss of Paomia. At the request of the Count, Georges Stefanopoli
(nicknamed Captain Giorgio) partially succeeded in having this proposal
accepted. Count Marbeuf oversaw the construction, by military engineers,
of 120 houses, all of the same yype, 250 metres from the sea.
He also had a mansion built but this was later burnt down and completely
Later, the Count was named Marquis of Cargèse
: The Revolution stuck the island. The Cabteau Marbeuf was
razed to the ground by the Jacobins of Vico, but the village was
not severely damaged.
men, who had taken refuge in the two towers at either end of the
Bay of Pero, were authorised to go to Aiaccio with their families.
Once more the Greeks resided in Ajaccio, this time for 4 years.
On orders from the Directory, General Casabianca brought them back
to Cargèse ; two thirds elected to return (approximately 800), the
others preferring to remain in Ajaccio or to leave for the continent.
1804 : At this time.
Cargèse had 1000 inhabi tants of which about 300 were Corsican.
This integration enables the village to foresee a peaceful future.
1808 : Cargèse became
a base for the reserve army. Barracks for 400-500 soldiers
1814 : Renewed threats
from the villagers of Vico who, under Charles X were obliged to
hand back property they had seized.
1830 : Numerous alliances
made between Greeks end Corsicans forced the people of Vico to abandon
And since then... Greeks and Corsicans have lived
together on the best of terms.